Monday 18 March 2013

Father, give me grace to forgive them.

So this post is inspired from what was preached at church yesterday as well as from what is happening in my life. Currently there is a series being done at church on 2 Peter and how to live to be a strong Christian or something. I honestly missed the beginning of the series as I was at another church. The main passage is:

"For this very reason, make every effort to add to your faith goodness; and to goodness, knowledge; and to knowledge, self-control; and to self-control, perseverance; and to perseverance, godliness; and to godliness, mutual affection(Brotherly kindness); and to mutual affection (Brotherly kindness), love. For if you possess these qualities in increasing measure, they will keep you from being ineffective and unproductive in your knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ. But whoever does not have them is nearsighted and blind, forgetting that they have been cleansed from their past sins." - 2 Peter 1:5-9 (NIV).

The text I bolded is what yesterday's message was on. The concept of how, as Christians, we should exhibit a brotherly affection or kindness to one another. Other passages used were:

"Dear friends, let us love one another, for love comes from God. Everyone who loves has been born of God and knows God. Whoever does not love does not know God, because God is love. This is how God showed His love among us: He sent his one and only Son into the world that we might live through Him. This is love: not that we loved God, but that He loved us and sent His Son as an atoning sacrifice for our sins. Dear friends, since God so loves us, we also out to love one another. No one has ever seen God; but if we love one another, God lives in us and His love is made complete in us." - 1 John 4:7-12 (NIV)

"Love must be sincere. Hate what is evil; cling to what is good. Be devoted to one another in brotherly love. Honor one another above yourselves. Never be lacking in zeal, but keep your spiritual fervor, serving the Lord. Be joyful in hope, patient in affliction, faithful in prayer. Share with the Lord's people who are in need. Practice hospitality. Bless those who persecute you; bless and do not curse. Rejoice with those who rejoice; mourn with those who mourn. Live in harmony with one another. Do not be proud, but be willing to associate with people of low position. Do not be conceited (Do not be wise in your own opinion). Do not repay anyone evil for evil. Be careful to do what is right in the eyes of everyone. If it is possible, as much as depends on you, live peaceably with everyone." - Romans 12:9-17 (NIV)

Now after all the verses I've given, I don't think I will have a verse of the post as I usually do. Now it is time to say what I have been thinking regarding all this. Clearly, a part of being Christian is being filled with the Spirit and having the love of God in us to give to others. God commands us (and tells us that our faith is evident through) to love one another. Now when we all agree on topics and all share common interests and goals, this loving one another comes pretty easy wouldn't you say? Well while I was sitting in church listening to the message, I kept thinking of how other people treat me and not so much of how I treat others. It may be a pride thing but I thought shortly on how I treat others and made a mental note to try and be aware when I'm not being loving and try to do better. Back to what I was thinking though in regards to how I am treated, in particular, by certain Christian friends.
This is something I have been talking to God about today while I was praywalking (praying while walking). I was talking to him about how after relationships or friendships end, people purposely remove people from their lives, for example when people break up, typically they go separate ways and friends of the people involved stick to their respective sides.
Now in my situation, I went through a break up, and SM decided to remove me from her life and friends of hers that I became friends with also began to ignore me for sometime. Now in a worldly view, this kind of makes sense since what would be the point of being friends. But when I think about this, and how in this situation we are all Christians, we should all be united in Christ and love each other as brothers and sisters should we not?
This is something I talked to God about today and hopefully everything will work out in his due time. In my eyes, no matter what happens between people, no matter what the circumstances, we need to put our pride aside and love one another. Sure it may be hard but to think it isn't possible would totally diminish the power of God's love. If we cannot put our pride aside and love one another and continue to purposely alienate people or remove people from our lives, than what makes us as Christians different than the world? If we don't follow God's commandments and forgive others of their mistakes and allow them into our lives in some capacity so that we may show them God's love to help build them up, than what kind of witness is that? We need to come together as the body of Christ and live in harmony and not let the mistakes or sins in our lives hinder our witness to the world. In my situation, I continue to pray for SM and hope she will someday allow me to be her brother in Christ instead of trying to pretend I don't exist.
It is also interesting to think that we can control who is and is not a part of our lives as if our lives are not interconnected. This world is both huge and small all at the same time. God has set up the connections of people in our lives for a reason and uses everyone in some capacity for our benefit. Sometimes the effect is negative and sometimes it is positive but ultimately God uses them to help us grow. I understand also that sometimes people can come and go in our lives and that is out of our control. But my point is as Christians, we should not force other Christians out of our lives no matter what the situation. Allow God to fill us with grace and love to overcome the hurt that we may be united in Christ.
I know someday God may have us meet to talk about how great his guidance and blessings truly are in our lives and He will be glorified then as I try to glorify him now.

SONGS OF THE POST: Yes there is 2!
Tenth Avenue North - Losing
Last fall during tough times and even now when things seem unfair, I am reminded by God to continue to love them and forgive them because God gives me the love and grace to do so. 

Starfield - Light of the World

We are the light of the world. When we put our pride aside and come together we can change this world. Beautiful song by Starfield.

All the best and God bless!
John

No comments:

Post a Comment