Monday 4 March 2013

"Keep my eyes to serve, and my hands to learn"

Sorry for the absence readers. I will try to keep this relatively short even though a lot has happened this past couple of weeks. Here is what has been happening in my life:

1. On Tuesday last week I donated blood for the second time in my life! This is something I want to do more often in my life because it is something that can save lives. Unfortunately for me I fainted. It was the strangest thing. I was finished donating and I was lay in the chair holding the gauze in place while my body recovers and they can give me my bandage and I felt fine. I was even on my blackberry reading some of Joshua (side note: Yes I am in Joshua! So stoked that I have kept up with my readings and am making my way through the Old Testament). Next thing I knew, I looked over and an older woman had fainted giving blood or something and I felt concerned for her. I wasn't scared for myself or anything, just hoping she was alright which she eventually was. But then as I was watching the people tend to the lady, tunnel vision started setting and apparently I fainted! Next thing I knew I realized I was sleeping and woke up wondering what happened. Funny thing was that the lady caused a domino effect and I was one of 3 people who fainted in response to her fainting. Long story short, I spent an extra hour at the clinic recovering and eating tons of juice and cookies. Lesson learned is to drink more food and water the day before and day of donating to ensure my body is truly ready for duty.

2.  Ball hockey intramurals were last week at school and it was a blast. I got to showcase some skill on the court which I was complimented on by my classmates. It does make me feel good to hear people think I'm good at hockey. We lost in the final on Friday which sucked but I played good and made some good plays. One of which resulted in a goal so I have nothing to be ashamed of. Ball hockey may have been the reason I fainted too since I may have been a tad dehydrated from the 2 games I played on Monday.

3. I've started playing guitar for the music portion of worship of one of the young adult groups I attend. I am happy to know that I have the ability to do this since I have always had doubts in my guitar and singing ability. I have helped out twice and it is going well. Really feel good about this and I think it will open up doors for me to continue doing this with the other young adults group I attend at a different Church.

4. I also got a summer job on a travel team to help run events that raise money for Cancer. Pretty excited for that since I will be in Toronto, Vancouver, and Calgary this summer working. Should be a great time but a lot of work.

5. Participated in "Coldest Night of the Year" as well on February 23rd! It's a walk-a-thon to raise funds for Yonge Street Missions which look after the homeless. It was a great experience that I will do again. It was nice to walk around Downtown Toronto and take in the sights, share the walk with others and have some laughs, and show the community that we care!


VERSE OF THE POST:
"Cast all your anxiety on Him because He cares for you. Be alert and of self control (have self control). Your enemy the devil prowls around like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour." - 1 Peter 5:7,8

This verse was written on the first page of my Dad's bible given to him by his parents when he went away to the military. I think this verse is wonderful! The Lord loves us and we can just heave our problems and worries for Him to take care of. Also, it is a reminder for us to be on guard since it is easy to fall into sin because the devil is always ready to help trip us up (which happened this week. Argh so dumb! God is so good to me though so I will keep living off his victory over sin!). This verse was a great choice by grandma and grandpa Neal for Dad. Hopefully someday Dad will realize this and I can give him back his bible when he is ready to use it! haha :)

SONG OF THE POST:
It was either "I will wait" or "Below my feet" both by Mumford & Sons. Going to see them in the August and I am so excited for it! "I will wait" was an unofficial theme for our team this week in Ball hockey and these two songs are favorites of mine. I will wait, I will wait for you!

Thanks for reading and please comment or message me and let me know what you think!
All the best and God bless!
John

No comments:

Post a Comment